Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Boss from hell..

We are on Day 7 (of 50) of the refinery's Revamp/TA now, and for this time period I'm reporting directly to a different superior.  I'm feeling a bit better today.. after so many crappy days before. Had about enough of people's huge ego to last me a lifetime!  It makes me feel embarrassed that such a person could be promoted as a GM of the company.  Making people feel bad, demotivated and blaming each other is no way to get through this period.  Nor would it help if you threaten, bully and micromanage others around!  There must be a better way to lead - but I guess it's just my luck to be stuck with such a bad boss. Now I simply have a different regard to my fellow operation colleagues who had to report to him directly; I don't think I'd last as long as them here if I were in their shoes. Seriously.

So what makes a good boss?

To me, it would have to be someone who has the desire AND ability (knowledge/skills) to lead, manage and motivate his/her sub-ordinates. Kissing a** to get ahead doesn't count. Bad mouthing others are out too. Actually knowing what you're talking about is a must, and being able to motivate your workforce positively is such a plus.  People need to know and understand WHY they are working their butts off for you. Give them the big picture and guide them to reach there (but please let them be creative about it!).  Don't go military style on them, and DO NOT treat people like you're the only one who knows what to do.  Realize that one person won't be able to achieve anything as it takes a team to reach any goal.  Gosh, are these too difficult concepts to understand?  These are key concepts in management - why can't anybody tell this guy that?  Oh right, I forgot he never listens to anyone..

8 more years of this crap and I'm out.

Or maybe I just need a break *sigh*..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is not hard to spot a bad boss, even more so a stupid one.

They say, people do not leave their jobs, they leave their bosses.

But why 8 years? That seems scarily too long.

Yatie said...

I'm just waiting it out (while getting our projects underway), I guess.. tho yeah, 8yrs seem ages! I'd be doing sth totally different then..